Friday, October 22, 2010

my shack...

Have you read the book "The Shack" by William Young?  If not, I highly recommend it. I hardly think it's the modern day "Pilgrim's Progress" as some have billed it to be. But it's an interesting, easy read if what you're looking for is to have your ideas about God shaken to the core. They may or may not be true. They may or may not be accurate. And they may or may not offend. But the issue is not to claim truth or accuracy. The idea that I take from the book is to think differently about God, and to realize that He is so completely different from how we think!

I was reading it this week. It's my second or third read, and each time, I've had different thoughts come to mind.


A recent discussion with a girlfriend of mine was centred around the idea that all roads (in particular, all religions) lead to Christ. I don't think that this is true, however, I do see all religions as a search for the divine...a way to find that light that is missing in our lives. And this morning, "The Shack" threw out an interesting comment.

Let me qualify again by saying that I don't think that this book is the gospel of truth. It was the words of a man, but I think that Jesus may very well have used this man's hands to write this message. It's a message that we all need to hear:

Jesus: "Those who love me come from every system that exists. They were Buddhists or Mormons, Baptists or Muslims, Democrats, Republicans and many who don't cotre or are not part of any Sunday morning or religious institutions. I have followers who were murderers and many who were self-righteous. Some are bankers and bookies, Americans and Iraqis, Jews and Palestinians. I have no desire to make them Christian, but I do want to join them in their transformation into sons and daughters of my Papa, into my brothers and sisters, into my Beloved."

Mack:"Does that mean that all roads will lead to you?"

Jesus: "Not at all...most roads don't lead anywhere. What it does mean is that I will travel any road to find you."

I'm so thankful to be in love with a God who would travel any road to find me. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment