She's one of my heroes for a number of reasons, but one of the most meaningful is that her voice resonates in my mind whenever I write. Her advice and teaching changed the way that I think and the way that I write. She helped me to appreciate the value of a semi-colon, the beauty of a serial comma, and using more verbs than nouns in my writing. But her most important lesson was her 5 C's in writing:
- Clear – always aim for high level of clarity
- Concise – use sharp phrases and sentences
- Correct – follow rules of grammar, spelling, usage
- Compelling – you must say something
- Creative – always be interesting!