Friday, January 7, 2011

On P90X

A couple of years ago, Blaine and I were watching infomercials in our hotel room in Cannon Beach, Oregon.  That was my first introduction to Tony Horton, and a workout program that he created called P90X.

It seemed like a good idea, so when we returned home, we ordered it, and proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it for 2 years.

I've never been clear on what the P is for. I know that the 90 is for 90 days, and I think that the X is because it's extreme.

(I could probably google it and find out, but I feel like putting some guesses out there.)

Here are my guesses:

1.  P is for "pain." P90X is a really hard workout, and it really hurts the next day (or two!).
2.  P is for "push yourself." You certainly do that, with a trainer like Tony Horton coaching you on DVD. Or then again, maybe you don't have to. My dad does the program, but he calls it P180 or P270X depending on his feelings that day.  That said, he has a six-pack and plays hockey three times a week. Oh, and did I mention that he's almost 60? He can stand to push himself less than the average human being.
3.  P is for "proving yourself." Maybe it's less about pushing yourself, and more about proving how much you can do when you set your mind to it.
4.  P is the initial of Tony Horton's first girlfriend, Penelope. Okay, that one's not likely, but it was my guess. For the record, I have no idea if Tony Horton ever dated a woman named Penelope.


After two years, we finally decided to make use of the DVDs that were taking up room on our shelf, and I have learned some tidbits about myself since we started in November. First, I love having a workout partner in my husband. He never gives up, and when I work out with him, I challenge myself more than when I'm alone. No doggin' it for this girl when her man is nearby. Second, when I like what I'm doing, I overcome. Obstacles, boredom, frustration, muscle soreness, and whiny-ness. Overcoming is important. Third and finally, I don't have to be a slave to all of my cravings for delights of the patisserie. It is possible for me to resist baked goods (although Christmas didn't prove that), and I triumph when I do. The scale and measuring tape prove it.

To P90X.

1 comment: